Friday, May 21, 2010

Essay

Throughout middle school, essays had always been something I felt very confident about. I felt like I was a good writer and I always got a good grade. Boy did that change this year. Before this class I never looked any deeper into a novel than exactly what happened in the story. I didn't care what the theme was, finding motifs and symbols, or character development. Writing essays became quite a challenge for me because of this.

I've come a long way since the beginning of the year with my writing. Now when I read I find myself naturally noticing symbols, figurative language, and developing themes. I feel like my writing has become a lot better but I still have a lot to work on. I tend to repeat words or phrases over and over, seeming to be at a loss for new ideas. I also have a hard time transitioning into new paragraphs and I can't seem to come up with an interesting hook if my life depended on it! Although I have a lot to work on, I've learned a lot about writing essays this year and feel like it will help me a lot in years to come!

1 comment: